CARROT & BANANA CAKE

Saturday, December 19, 2015

Two things I love munching on growing up: carrot sticks and bananas.
A decade ago, someone introduced me to Baguio Country Club’s carrot cake and banana loaf which is really good.



The last time I had it was about a couple of years ago.



So for the holiday season, I put myself to task to bake and re-create BCC’s renowned carrot cake and banana loaf and I found a reliable recipe at Epicurious dot com that turned out really well.
This is one of the easiest cake you can ever bake. Prep time is like 10 minutes, as long as you had your carrot finely grated beforehand (took me forever). And baking time is about an hour or so.
You can try this if you want. The original recipe I found was here. But I tweaked it a bit.
I cut oil to 1/2 cup, omitted crushed pineapple in juice, and used walnuts instead of pecans because I like walnuts in my carrot & banana cake.
And also, I omitted the cream cheese frosting because I like my carrot & banana cake plain and simple. Nothing fancy.

Here are the ingredients that you will need:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots (about 1 1/2 large)



1/2 cup mashed ripe banana



3/4 cup chopped walnuts



Here’s how to cake it:

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Line and grease a 20cm diameter cake tin.

Sift first 4 ingredients into medium bowl.

Whisk oil, 1 cup sugar, brown sugar and eggs in large bowl until well blended.

Mix in dry ingredients.



Add carrots, banana and walnuts and blend well.



Transfer batter to prepared pan.
(Sprinkle with a handful of extra walnuts, optional.)



Pop into the oven and bake until tester inserted near center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour.



Let cake stand in pan 10 minutes.



Turn out cake onto rack and cool.



What a deliciously moist carrot & banana cake ... perfect with a strong cup of tea and a good book.

I can easily eat half a cake in a single sitting!

You Might Also Like

0 comments